Monday, August 26, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Tacos

Normally, I'm not a fan of chicken in the crock pot.  It usually gets mushy and unappetizing, but I've been seeing chicken tacos posted daily on Pinterest and I caved.  This recipe is a combination of several different ones.  We loved the result!  Adding the cilantro and lime juice at the end really brightened up the flavors and cancelled out that "been in the crock pot all day" flavor that chicken can take on.

I've found that cooking the chicken longer than 6 hours runs the risk of the it getting soft, so I switch it to the "Keep Warm" setting after that.  Have I mentioned that I really hate mushy chicken? I'm sure it varies by crock pot, but this works for me.

I used a thawed 3 pound bag of chicken and it made enough to freeze half for another night.  The leftovers would make fabulous quesadillas, burritos or taco salads as well.

Serve with 5 Minute Guacamole and White Queso.

Recipe (serves 12)
2-3 lb Chicken breasts
1/2 lg Onion, chopped
1 1/2 - 2 Cans of Rotel
1 pkg Taco seasoning
1 Lime, juiced
1 Handful cilantro, chopped
  1. Combine chicken, onion, taco seasoning and Rotel in slow cooker.  Cook 6 hours on low. 
  2. Remove from pot and shred.  Return to slow cooker and stir in lime juice and cilantro. 
Serve on warm tortillas with all of your favorite fixin's!

3 WW Points + (without tortilla)
6 WW Points + (with small whole wheat tortilla)
Points calculated with WW Recipe Builder.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...