Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sweet Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Casserole


Who doesn't love cinnamon rolls?  Seriously, who?  Because there is something wrong if you don't enjoy the buttery, cinnamony sweet flavor of a rich cinnamon roll.  You *might* need to see a doctor about that.  :-P 

This recipe was is a version of the 2004 Pillsbury Bake-Off's Cinnamon French Toast Bake, and it's a one of my always reliable, no-fail breakfast casseroles.  It brings smiles to the faces of both kids and adults.  The best part is that it is super simple.  You can put it together in about 10-15 minutes.  Double yay!

I've lightened up the original recipe because I have a hard time eating just one serving of this casserole and wanted to feel less guilty about it.  ;-)   (Not that a little guilt would have stopped me.)  I left out the butter.  It's OK though, since I'm not "technically" a Southerner I can remove butter from recipes without losing my kitchen privileges.  =P  Just don't tell my Southern friends and family because they don't know it's gone. 

One splurge that I do use is cinnamon coffee creamer in place of the heavy cream from the original recipe.  It adds richness and I don't have to buy a container of whipping cream and let most of it go to waste.  You could use fat free half and half instead.  I also like to use coffee creamer in cake icing instead of milk.  Yum.

Serve this lovely Cinnamon Roll Casserole with turkey sausage and fresh fruit for a delightful brunch.  It reheats nicely to serve throughout the week as well.

Enjoy!

**I recently added a new version of this popular recipe that I like even more than the original- Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Casserole!  It has an amazing fall flavor.**

Recipe:
Casserole
2 (12.4 oz) refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing like Pillsbury (can use light cinnamon rolls)
1 3/4 c egg substitute like Egg Beaters (or 6 large eggs)
1/2 c cinnamon bun coffee creamer or half and half
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
1 c chopped pecans
1 cup light maple syrup

  1. Preheat oven to 375 and grease an 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish.
  2. Cut each cinnamon roll into 8 pieces and place in dish.  
  3. In a medium bowl whisk together egg substitute or eggs, coffee creamer, vanilla and cinnamon.  Pour over rolls.  Sprinkle with pecans and drizzle syrup over all.  
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool 10-15 minutes (if you can wait that long!!)  Remove covers from icing and microwave 5-10 seconds or until it's the perfect consistency for drizzling.
  5. Drizzle icing over top.   Serve with additional light syrup and powdered sugar.   
Source: Adapted from 2004 Pillsbury Bake-Off's Cinnamon French Toast Bake

Linked to:
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tasty Tuesdays
Cast Party Wednesday 
These Chicks Cooked 
Full Plate Thursday 

21 comments:

  1. That looks really good. I've had so much sweet stuff, though, toay that I think I'm done for a few days... maybe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I would love it if you came by and shared some of your recipes with us at Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks delicious too! I may just be able to plan my two week menu off of your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! My whole family loves cinnamon rolls, but my sister loves them the most! I'll pin these for her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy and tasty, too! A perfect combination. Thanks for sharing! ~ Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!!! We will definitely be trying this asap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! I love cinnamon rolls and this looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure I'd want to know anyone who doesn't like cinnamon rolls. Sincerely. There had to be something wrong with a person who doesn't like cinnamon rolls.

    That being said, I'm salivating over this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. these sound great come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer, this breakfast casserole sounds sinfully wonderful! Thanks for sharing it! Now following you and also inviting you to stop over and share this recipe or two on my weekend blog hop Fresh Food Friday or Seasonal Saturday where 8 blogs are featured each week. I'd love to have you join in.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This casserole sounds heavenly and I can't wait to try it! Love your blog and I'm your newest follower!

    http://cajundelights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jennifer,
    What a great casserole, it looks so delicious. We will really enjoy this dish. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you will come back again real soon. Have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. That casserole sounds amazing! I'm featuring it this Wednesday at the link party! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this last weekend for my inlaws! They loved it. So easy, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My boyfriends parents are coming to stay with us this weekend and I've been fretting about what to make them for breakfast tomorrow! This looks like the winner! Thanks for sharing... I can't wait to try these :D
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  16. now I'm going to have to try this. maybe even this sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When i made it the cinnamon rose to the top and the eggs settled to the bottom. And it tasted very eggy. I was less than thrilled. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it didn't turn out well for you. I've had this happen once to me. I'm not really sure why. Is it possible it didn't cook long enough? You want it to be browned on top.

      Did you use egg beaters or eggs? I find egg beaters are a lot easier to whisk the cinnamon into.

      You could also try cutting back on the liquid - maybe leave out an egg or two.

      Delete
  18. Can this be prepped the night before?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...