Thursday, August 22, 2013

Summer Barbecue Chicken Salad



This is a salad I threw together after having something similar in several restaurants.  I love the freshness of the veggies, creaminess of the avocado and black beans and smokiness of the grilled chicken and barbecue sauce. The crunchy tortilla strips are just the icing on the cake.

When I need to make this a quick weeknight meal, I use chicken breasts that I've previously grilled and frozen.  You could also use a rotisserie chicken.  It's even better with chicken right off the grill using my favorite chicken marinade and grilled corn cut off of the cob.  Who doesn't love the mix of the cool veggies and warm chicken? 

Serve with cornbread or cheese quesadillas.

Recipe - 2 main dish servings
1 Bag leafy green salad mix
1/2 Can Mexicorn or grilled corn
1/2 Can black beans, washed and drained
1 Avocado, diced
1/2 Tomato, seeded and diced
3 Green onions, diced
1/2 c Cheddar or cheddar/jack cheese
2 Grilled/baked chicken breasts, sliced
Santa Fe style tortilla strips (in the salad dressing aisle)
Ranch salad dressing (reduced fat)
Barbecue sauce

Combine and serve immediately.  If you're not serving right away, add dressing and tortilla chips right before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...