Monday, September 2, 2013

Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole

Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole is perfect for Saturday brunch!
 My favorite meal of the day is breakfast, no matter what time of day it is served.  Even my hubby who never cared for breakfast gets up on Saturday and looks around for his eggs and bacon.  He's more of savory breakfast man, but I like it all as is evident by my obsession with Cracker Barrel and IHOP.

This recipe is a slightly moister, eggier version of a recipe I found on the Pillsbury site.  I love using canned biscuits, cinnamon rolls and crescent rolls in recipes even though I don't care much for them on their own.  Adding fresh ingredients takes away the canned flavor.

My other shortcut is to use precooked REAL bacon bits, keeping the prep time under 10 minutes.  Would freshly cooked bacon be better?  Probably, but it's not worth the time and mess to me while trying to keep up with a newborn and 3 year old wild child. 

You can save a few calories by using egg substitute which works great in casseroles, low fat cheese and turkey bacon or ham in place of the regular bacon.  Throw in any of your favorite breakfast meats, cheeses and veggies to come up with your own version.

Recipe
Adapted from: Pillsbury

Ingredients
4 eggs or about 1 c egg substitute
1/3 cup milk
salt and pepper
16 oz refrigerated breakfast biscuits (I used GV Texas style biscuits.), cut into 4 or 8 pieces
4 green onions, diced
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 pkg Oscar Mayer real bacon pieces or bits (the kind you put on salad)

Directions
  1. In an 11 x 7 dish, whisk together eggs, milk and salt and pepper.  (You don't need a ton of salt because many of the ingredients are salty.) 
  2. Add biscuits, onions, cheese and bacon.  Toss to coat with egg mixture.
  3. Bake 25-28 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown and cooked through.

Linked to:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...