Thursday, April 7, 2011

Out of This World Vegetable Beef Soup

Growing up, I dreaded Grandma's vegetable beef soup, mainly because I was a kid and kids aren't supposed to like vegetables. :-P  Then fast forward 20 (eek) years when I had a newborn, very little sleep and even less time.  That's when I started craving something comforting and vegetable beef soup came to mind.

Not just any soup, my Grandma's vegetable beef soup.

Since all of Grandma's recipes have a little bit of this and a little bit of that, I decided to try and duplicate that flavor myself.  I cruised my favorite recipe site, Allrecipes.com and came across of plethora of vegetable soup recipes, but one caught my attention, Martha's Vegetable Beef Soup.   My Grandmother's name isn't Martha, but this recipe looked so easy and easy is what I needed.

I made several changes in both ingredients and preparation and I loved this soup.

Seriously, it was love.

This stuff is so simple, can be prepared in the slow cooker, is super healthy and can be frozen for future meals.  I like to make it and freeze it in individual size freezer bags for quick lunches.   You can also keep an extra batch in the freezer for the next time you need to take something to a sick friend or someone in need!

You can do this on the stove top or in the crock pot.  Add some pasta or beans near the end for a heartier meal.

Don't be tempted to leave out the sugar because it really does make a difference!

Recipe
1 lb beef stew meat (Cut into smaller pieces if needed.)
3/4 c chopped onion
1 10 oz bag mixed vegetables
2-3 red potatoes, cubed (3/4 inch cubes)
1 can tomatoes, diced or stewed
1 small can tomato sauce
3 cups low sodium beef broth (3/4 of a carton)
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 heaping tsp of sugar

  1. Place beef and onions in a hot skillet coated with olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.  Brown beef, drain and put in crock pot.
  2. Add remaining ingredients to crock pot, stir, cover and cook on high for 1 hour.  
  3. Adjust setting to low and cook 5-6 hours or until potatoes are cooked through and meat is tender. 
  4. If freezing, place portions in freezer bags and cool in fridge.  Lay flat and freeze when cool.  

    1 comment:

    Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...