Thursday, July 7, 2011

Red, White and Blueberry Trifle

Red White and Blue Trifle is a one of my quick and easy go-to recipes for a dessert in a pinch.  You can throw this guy together in about 15 minutes and yet it gets more ooohs and ahhhhs than if you'd worked on it all afternoon. Seriously, why work hard when you don't have to?

Another reason I love this recipe is because it is light and doesn't have as much sugar and fat as other desserts.  I have several diabetics in my family who love dessert, but I can't in good conscience serve them super sweet treats.  Although this recipe still has its share of sugar/carbs, its a much healthier choice.

Trifles are super versatile.  Change up the type of cake, pudding and fruit to make your own unique dessert! There are so many flavors of pudding mix and cake out now that you could really turn this into just about anything.  Just imagine your favorite dessert combinations and make them into a trifle- lemon-blueberry, chocolate-cherry, pina colada, strawberry cheesecake...

Enjoy experimenting!

Recipe
1 lg box sugar free french vanilla pudding mix
3 c 1% or skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 (10 inch) premade angel food cake, cut into 1 inch cubes
16 oz fresh strawberries, diced, reserving one or two for garnishing
1 pint blueberries
2 (8 oz) containers of whipped topping

  1. Prepare pudding with milk and vanilla according to package directions.  
  2. In a trifle bowl layer 1/2 angel food cake, 1/2 pudding, 1/2 fruit and 1/2 whipped topping.  Repeat layers and garnish with extra fruit
  3. Chill at least 4 hours before serving.
Source: Adapted from Allrecipes 
'
Linked to:
This Week's Cravings 
Gooseberry Patch Recipe Round Up

4 comments:

  1. looks so yummy:)

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful trifle. I bet it tasted every bit as good as it looks. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till tomorrow night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your trifle up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...