Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Lemon Brownies

Julie's Deli in Texarkana, TX has the most amazing lemon brownies.  Until I visited their deli, I'd never heard of lemon brownies.  I was under the misconception that you had to be brown in order to be a brownie.  :P

After I ate one of these, I was determined to find a recipe.  Google didn't provide much help other than this recipe on food.com.  It looked too simple to be good, but it did appeal to both my lazy and frugal sides. 

The brownie starts with a lemon cake mix that gets extra lemon flavor from lemon jello mix.  For even more lemon flavor, you could add a little lemon zest.  You could easily tweak this to your liking as I plan to keep doing.

The topping is simple as well, just lemon juice and powdered sugar.  I've made these with and without the topping.  They're good both ways, but the lemon glaze really takes it to the next level.

It's not as awesome as the brownies at Julie's Deli, but they're still pretty tasty.

Recipe 
1 (18 ounce) box lemon cake mix 
1 (3 ounce) package lemon gelatin 
1/2 cup cooking oil 
3 eggs 
Glaze*:
1 cup powdered sugar 
1/2 cup lemon juice 

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13x9" pan.
2.  Mix together cake mix, gelatin, oil and eggs.  (The mixture will be thick.)  Spread into prepared pan.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
3.  Remove from oven and immediately use a toothpick to punch holes in brownies.
4.  Whisk together lemon juice and powdered sugar and beat until smooth.  Pour over warm brownies.  I don't always use the entire amount.
5.  Cool and cut into squares.  
*The glaze is optional.  If you only want moderately lemony brownies, sprinkle them with powdered sugar instead.

Adapted from:  Food.com
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. JENNIFER!!!!!!! I'm so happy to see you posting again :) Those 'brownies' look amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Thanks Kelly! I've got another brownie recipe coming Thursday! =)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...