Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Beefy Taco Soup

I know you're thinking, "It's June and a bazillion degrees outside.  Why is this crazy lady posting a soup recipe?"  Well, normally I wouldn't, but my family has been sick with the mother of all colds this week and soup just sounded good.  It's also helps clear out the ole sinuses a little.  (Not that you wanted to know that.)

If you have a garden, taco soup would be a great way to use up some of your fresh tomatoes, pepper and corn.  I can only imagine how yummy fresh, sweet corn would taste in this recipe.  You can make it now and freeze it for later!

One thing I've noticed about taco soup is that everybody and their brother has a recipe for it and somehow they are different.  It just shows you how versatile it is.  I like beans, but the hubs doesn't so we compromise by using only 1 can of beans and adding a can of hominy.  If you love beans, add more!

We like a little heat, but a lot of people don't, so I use mild Rotel.  Plus, in case you missed it earlier, it's a bazillion degrees outside, so I'll pass on the chili pepper hot flashes for now.  Use the regular or hot versions if you want to spice things up.  If you get it too hot, just add more water to dilute it.  Personally, I like it a little thinner, but the hubs thinks that all that liquid just gets in the way of the good stuff.  : P

Really, you can add whatever floats your boat.  That's the great thing about soup!

I hope your family enjoys this recipe, if not now, sometime in the future when there's a chill in the air and a football game on the big screen!

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 15 oz can corn, drained
1 15 oz can white hominy, drained
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 10 oz can Rotel, mild
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 16 oz can pinto beans or bean of choice
2 c water
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch dressing mix

Directions:
  1. Brown ground beef and onion in medium skillet.  Drain, rinse and pour into slow cooker.  Add remaining ingredients and stir.
  2. Cook 8 hours on low.  Serve with tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream.

1 comment:

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...