Friday, May 6, 2011

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bread

Ummm...yeah.

Chocolate. Covered. Strawberry. Bread.

Enough said.

Ahhh...you should have known I'd have more to say.  : P

This recipe came about when I realized that I had yet another package of over ripened strawberries in my fridge.  I'm notorious for buying strawberries and never eating them.  Once said strawberries were discovered, the following conversation with the husband insued:

Me: How would some strawberry bread?

Husband: Ehhh...that'd be fine.

Me: How would you like it with chocolate chips?

Husband:  I'd like it better.  ;)

So, as I do with every other baked good in our home, I added chocolate chips.  For this batch I added 1 cup of chocolate chips, but it was a bit overpowering so I would scale it back to 1/2 or 3/4 c next time and possibly use the mini chips.

When I went to my pantry I only had 3/4 cup of oil, so I improvised by mixing in Ben's strawberry banana baby food to make up for the remaining 1/2 cup.  It's time the kiddo started contributing to things around here.  ;)  It turned out nice and moist with the baby food, so I will definitely use part oil/ part baby puree or apple sauce next time and save some calories.

I made mine in a bundt pan so that I could slice it and serve it for dessert.  If you want to up the strawberry flavor, try garnishing it with a fresh strawberry.  It really adds extra pop.

Recipe
3 c very ripe strawberries
3 1/8 c all purpose flour
2 c white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 vegetable oil (or a mix of oil and apple sauce)
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla or Princess Cake and Cookie Extract by L'orraine
3/4 c semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini chips
1 c chopped pecans

  1. Roughly chop strawberries, place in bowl and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of sugar.  Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, remaining sugar, salt and baking soda.  
  3. To strawberries, add eggs, vanilla and oil (or oil/applesauce).  
  4. Combine strawberry and flour mixtures.  Mix in chocolate chips and pecans.  
  5. Flour and grease 2 loaf pans or 1 bundt pan.  Pour mixture into pan and bake 45-55 minutes at 350 degrees.
  6. Cool 10 minutes and turn out onto wire rack. 
  7. Garnish with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar.
Source: Adapted from AllRecipes

Linked to:

1 comment:

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...