Saturday, May 7, 2011

Slow Cooker Lasagna!

 I have to admit I was skeptical about the idea of crock pot lasagna.  My first thought was Ewwww, but today I had a moment of weakness.  Honestly, blogging about food has made me want to try things I normally wouldn't.

This recipe turned out better than I expected.  My only complaint might be that the noodles are a little on the mushy side.  Other than that, it was pretty awesome.

I used turkey sausage and cooked it with chopped spinach, carrots, onions, mushrooms and garlic.  The veggies are optional, but they definitely gave the canned sauce a more homemade flavor.
Seriously, how gorgeous is that???

When layering the noodles, I just broke them to fit into the crock pot.  The extra pieces fit nicely into the gaps.  There really aren't many tricks to this recipe.  You could probably adapt your own favorite lasagna recipe to the crock pot if you wanted.

One thing that crossed my mind when I made this is how great it would be to take this to a potluck and it actually be warm when it was served.  Luke warm casseroles trigger my gag reflex, so this idea was especially appealing.  : P  Anyway, I hope somebody enjoys this simple, slow cooked meal!

Recipe
1 lb Italian sausage
2 c veggies of choice, diced
    (I used spinach, carrots, red pepper, onion, mushrooms and garlic)
1 46 oz jar of spaghetti sauce
1 jar pizza sauce
1 16 oz container ricotta cheese
3 cup mozarella, cheese divided
1/4 c parmesan cheese (optional)
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 pkg no boil lasagna noodles

  1. Brown sausage and veggies in a skillet.  Drain.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix ricotta, 2 cups mozarella cheese, parmesan cheese and parsley.
  3. In another bowl combine pizza and spaghetti sauce.
  4. In crock pot layer:
  • 1/4 sauce
  • noodles (broken to fit crock pot)
  • 1/2 of cheese
  • 1/2 of meat
  • 1/4 sauce
  • repeat layers
  • top with noodles and remaining sauce
    5.  Cook on low for about 4 hours.  Remove lid and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover until cheese melts (5-10 minutes).

Source: Adapted from AllRecipes

This recipe is featured in the
Gooseberry Patch's Just for Dad Recipe Round Up 
What's Cooking Wednesday at Turning Back the Clock 
Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain
Full Plate Thursday

11 comments:

  1. Ok, here's the deal... I'll come to your house and clean... if you come to my house and cook! Your food looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! I wonder if it would work in a pressure cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looks great girl - any more crockpot recipes for those of us gone all day? I am totally doing this one on a Sunday.

    I need ones you can cook on low all day at work - I only know of the good ole rump roasts.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte- I'm not sure. I've never used a pressure cooker.

    Melanie- I'll get it on it. It's hard to find ones to cook all day. I've got a good boneless rib recipe, Italian beef and a couple of soup recipes. It's definitely hard to find ones that cook all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks delicious! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I love finding new recipes! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe with us. I love trying new things in my slow cooker. It makes the so much easier. I hope you will come over tomorrow and share more of your delicious recipes with us at Cast Party Wednesday. http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer. I came over from Full Plate Thursday and was intrigued to see crockpot lasagna on the linky. It's good to know it works. :-)

    I'd like to invite you to my weekly recipe linkies on Mondays and Thursdays. I'm also following you and hope you'll do the same. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer,
    What a great recipe to come home and find in the Slow Cooker at the end of the day. We just love Lasagna and would really enjoy your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back real soon.
    Hope you have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK this looks like something I could try! I never thought to make lasagna in a crock pot! Looks delish and not too impossible, heh. Thanks for posting!
    --New follower! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely return.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...