Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Beat the Heat with Fresh Strawberry Pie!

In many ways summer is my least favorite time of year.  I love being outside, but I don't enjoy feeling like I'm standing under a ginormous hairdryer every time I open the front door.  I'm usually over summer before it technically gets here, but I have found a few ways to beat the heat.

One of my favorites is fresh strawberry pie!!  It's cool, refreshing and bursting with berry flavor.   You can also make it with peaches and peach jello which I think I like even more than strawberry. 

My grandmother is the queen of pie, making some of my favorites like fresh peach, strawberry, chocolate, butterscotch and lemon, so she is responsible for my love of the summer treat.  She has made countless pies in her lifetime both to sell and share, but this is one of my favorites.  When I moved across the country, I had to find a recipe for it. 

My version of this pie is nearly fool-proof.  I say "nearly" because well... there are always those unavoidable kitchen catastrophes.   ;)  Trust me, it's so simple that you'll want to make 2 or 3 at time to share with family and friends.

Without the blueberries, this pie cost about $4.00 to make!  Since I am prone to moments of weakness while in the produce aisle, I ended up adding blueberries as well, making it around $5.50.  That's an awesome deal if you ask me!

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!!!

Recipe:
1 frozen, deep dish pie crust
1 c sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 c water
1 small pkg strawberry jello
16 oz strawberries, cleaned and sliced into halves or quarters
1/2 c blueberries (optional)
  1. Prick bottom and sides of pie crust and bake according to package directions.  Cool.  If you don't prick it, you'll end up with something that looks more like a sopapilla than a pie crust.
  2. In a medium saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch.  Whisk in water and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Cook and stir until mixture thickens to a jelly like consistency and goes from milky white to opaque (3-5 minutes).  Remove from heat and stir in jello.  Cool to room temperature.
  3. Place sliced berries in crust.  I like to make a pretty pattern in two layers, hiding the "uglier" berries on the bottom.  I sprinkled blueberries over each layer, but this is totally optional..
  4. Pour cooled glaze over berries, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until pie sets up.  
  5. Serve with your favorite whipped topping.
Adapted from: AllRecipes

Linked to:
This Week's Cravings 
This Chick Cooks 
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday 
Tea Party Tuesday

8 comments:

  1. That... looks... AWESOME!

    BTW, your website is wrong on circle of Moms. You forgot the blogspot. I voted for you though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly. I don't think I realized what I was signing up for. lol! I didn't realize it was a voting thing. I was just trying to add my name to a blogroll. I need to ask you about it first next time. Haha!! I've never been to Circle of Moms. I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it too... I just tried to come here from your link and it wouldn't let me lol. I wish there was a way to get our 'selves' out there :) We need to brainstorm lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty pie. It sounds like a wonderful summer dessert. I am bookmarking your recipe to give it a shot :) Thanks for coming by to share! Have a great weekend.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful and so juicy looking. Thanks for sharing at Tea Party Tuesday if you could link back that would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this says summer to me with all the awesome fruit oh so delicious come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com and see what I shared

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...