Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza Heaven

I heart deep dish Chicago-style pizza.  I didn't know it until today, but swooooon.   Thick, chewy crust, well seasoned veggies, goooey cheese and savory meats are combined to create this incredible palate-pleaser. 

As we wear eating dinner, the hubs (aka The Pizza Connoisseur) kept asking if I was going to take a picture.  lol!  I guess that meant he liked it.  =P  He's starting to warm up to this whole blog thing as well! 

To cut a few calories here and there, I used lean turkey sausage, precooked deli ham and turkey pepperoni instead of the pound of full fat sausage suggested in the original recipe.  I also cut back a little on the cheese.

The best tip I discovered while making this is to drain the tomatoes really well.  Once you add them to the rest of the veggies, they'll give up a little more liquid that you might want to drain off as well.  I had a little of the tomato mixture left after it was assembled because my crust was super thick.

If the sauce is too chunky for your taste, try a a can of tomato sauce in lieu of the diced tomatoes.  I think I might try that next time too since the hubs prefers his tomatoes pureed.   Change up the meats, veggies, and cheeses to create your own mouthwatering combination. 

I can't wait to dive into the leftovers!

Recipe
1 Perfect Pizza Crust or 1 lb frozen bread dough, thawed
6 oz precooked turkey sausage
4 oz chopped deli ham
4 oz chopped turkey pepperoni
1 1/2 c mozzarella cheese
1 c mushrooms, chopped
1/3 c bell pepper, diced
1 sm onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 (28 oz) jar diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano, drained
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fennel seed
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal.  Press dough onto bottom and up the sides of the pan.  Bake for 15 minutes.
  2. In the meantime, saute onions, pepper and garlic in olive until onions start to soften.  Add mushrooms and saute a few more minutes.  Stir in well drained tomatoes, oregano, salt and fennel seed.  
  3. Remove crust from oven.  Layer meat, mozzarella cheese, sauce and parmesan cheese.  Bake 25 more minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Source: Adapted from AllRecipes.com 

Photobucket

Linked to:
Delectable Tuesday
Turning the Table Thursday 
Full Plate Thursday

9 comments:

  1. oh this looks so goood!

    love your new blog design!

    Stopping by from the Alexa Drop Hop!

    Http://www.bragallaboutit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALoha! New follower here via the blog hop... That recipe looks divine!!! I'm thinking I just might have to try it... Hope you're having a great week... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pizza and deep dish is a must! This looks heavenly. :) Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Visiting from Alexa Blog Hop!
    Im your newest follower


    yummy pizza!

    Follow me at http://ourlittleinspiration.blogspot.com

    Thanks,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by from the Alexa Hop and for linking to Turning the Table Thursday.

    Following you now.

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!!! Of course everyone in my house loves pizza. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful recipes.
    Glad to connect with you on voiceBoks.
    Barbara
    Español para Niños (Spanish for Kids)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, I won't lie. Ordinarily this dish would be heavenly and amazing to me, but, since I'm preggers and having a thing against tomatoes, not so much. Lol. I definitely bookmarked it because I know both I and my husband will love it once I'm over being sicky. Anyway, dropping by from the Alexa Drop Hop. New GFC follower too. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jennifer,
    You are so right, this is pizza heaven! This is a great pizza and we will be having it on our next pizza night. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you will come back again real soon. Have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...