Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chocolate Chip & Walnut Scones

Soooo.... if I call it a scone and eat it with my breakfast then I can pretend like I'm not eating chocolate chip cookies for breakfast, right?  Hehe... 

I made these for the hubs because he's a chocoholic and a fruitaphobic.  ;-)  We both love scones, but I've always been too intimidated to make them.  I found this recipe on All Recipes and thought it looked simple enough to try.  It had great reviews as well so what was there to lose?

No weird ingredients and no kitchen gadgets are required.  Given last nights terrifying encounter with the mixer (always make sure your mixer is in the off position before inserting the beaters), I was thrilled to make a recipe that didn't require any form of machinery.  So were my fingers...
: /

Anyhoo, these scones are moist, tender and lightly sweetened.  I changed this to a chocolate chip and walnut scone, but if you view the original recipe, you will find all kinds of fruity variations.  I can't wait to try the lemon-blueberry version! 

Enjoy these with a cup of coffee and fresh fruit!   

Recipe
2 c all purpose flour
1/3 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 c mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/3 c sour cream
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp sugar
  1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly grease a cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.  Grate butter into bowl.  Using hands, work butter into flour mixture.  It should look like coarse meal once combined.  Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
  3. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, egg and vanilla.  With a fork mix wet ingredients into flour mixture until it is well incorporated and large chunks start to form.  Use your hands to work it into a ball.  
  4. Lay ball on a lightly floured surface and pat into an 8 inch circle.  Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.  Cut into 8 wedges and put on cookie sheet.  Bake 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned.
Source: Adapted from AllRecipes



Linked to:
What's on the Menu Wednesday
What I Whipped Up Wednesday

9 comments:

  1. Everything looks soooo delish! Following your blog back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I 'might' could do this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! These look absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...I love scones. This recipe would be perfect for my Cast Party Wednesday Link Party. Would you come over and share some of your yummy recipes with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to Sheryl, but when I tried visiting your profile I couldn't find a link. If I get a link, I'll definitely be there!

    Thanks Dorothy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum yum yum yum yum! Did I say yum? YUM! I am visiting from Sugar and Dots and I am a new follower!!

    Hope you are having a great week and I see you around my blog soon!

    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your cute blog just an hour ago, and made these delicious scones- substituting raspberries for the chocolate chips, and apple sauce for the sour cream. they were very delicious, and I hope to see more of your amazing ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jennifer,
    I just love scones and your combination of Chocolate Chips and Walnuts looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Hope you are having a great week end.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...