Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Muffins, Oh My!

I've always been a HUGE fan of blueberry muffins.  They are one of the top 10 foods that I would want to take with me to the desert island.  Chocolate would be the other 9.  Kidding, I think.

The last few weeks I've seen several lemon/blueberry recipes and I started craving lemon blueberry muffins.  So I did what any good cook does and googled/swagged a recipe.  The one I settled on was from Alexandra's Kitchen.  Her incredible pictures lured me in while her descriptions made me salivate.  You've got to check out her post to find out more about this recipe.

Anyway, these muffins were fabulous.  The texture from using cake flour, which I just happened to have on hand for once, was light and delicate, the blueberries were abundant and the lemony flavor was just right.  It was like eating a sweet treat from your favorite bakery except you made a dozen for the price of 2 bakery muffins. ;)

Blueberries are plentiful in our local grocery store so I used fresh, but I'll definitely be making these this winter with frozen berries.  This is one of those recipes that you could probably use as a base recipe to make all kinds of combinations.    

These were such a hit at our house that a sneaky little muffin thief crashed my photo shoot.  I like to take my pics on a wooden bench by our window to get the best light.  Little man snuck under the table to get to the muffins.  ;)  Yep, they're that good.

Recipe
½ c unsalted butter, room temperature (I used Best Life Buttery Baking Sticks and adjusted the salt in the recipe)
2 heaping tsp. lemon zest
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1½ tsp. kosher salt
2 c fresh blueberries
½ c milk
  1. Preheat oven to 375.  Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners or spray well with cooking spray.
  2. Cream butter, lemon zest and sugar.  Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
  3. Toss blueberries with 1/4 cup of the flour.  This will help prevent them all from sinking to the bottom of the pan, so I wouldn't skip this step.  In another bowl whisk together remaining flour, baking powder and salt.  
  4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture a little at a time, alternating with milk.  Scoop into 12 tins.  Bake approx. 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  5. Cool for 7 minutes (why I don't know) and then remove to cool on a wire rack.
Source: Alexandra's Kitchen 
Printable Recipe
Photobucket
Linked to:

6 comments:

  1. These do sound delicious! We are big fans of anything with lemon flavor in our home.

    I found you through Recipe Roundup on Facebook... glad I did. I love your blog! We are in the middle of a series,
    Feast of the Ages that we hoped would tie food and faith together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds delicious and easy to make for my daughters. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These muffins do look and sound fabulous! Thanks so much for linking them up at Muffin Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...