Thursday, November 17, 2011

Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup (Christmas Soup)

Fresh tortellini soup has been on my radar for a while now, but I haven't been motivated to make it.  I've been spending most of my evenings working on Christmas stuff and cleaning... so cooking has fallen by the wayside.  This blustering weekend, however, was ideal for soup making!

I'm so glad I finally tried this recipe!  It has tons of flavor from the sausage which you could cut back to 12 oz or even 8 oz if you want to lighten up the recipe.  The cheese filled tortellini adds creaminess while the veggies add flavor and nutrition to the zesty broth.  This is a hearty, filling soup that tastes just as good as leftovers.

If you are looking for a special, yet simple meal to serve for Christmas Eve, I highly recommend giving this a try.  Adding the spinach during the last 10 minutes of cooking, it stays bright green.  When paired with the red broth and tomatoes, it looks like a bowl full of Christmas!

Recipe
12- 16 oz Italian sausage, casings removed
1 c chopped onion
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
6 c beef broth
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 c thinly sliced carrots
2 tsp dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 c sliced zucchini (1 medium)
1 1/2 c chopped fresh spinach
8 oz fresh cheese filled tortellini pasta
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
fresh Parmesan cheese

1.  Crumble sausage and brown it in a Dutch oven.  Remove and drain on paper towels, leaving a tablespoon or so of the sausage drippings in pan.
2.  Saute onions and garlic in drippings until they soften up.   Add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, sausage, carrots, oregano and basil.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 30 minutes.
3.  Stir in zucchini and parsley, cooking covered 30 more minutes.  During the last 10 minutes, add spinach and tortellini.  Garnish individual portions with fresh parmesan cheese and additional parsley if desired.

Adapted from: AllRecipes
Photobucket
Linked to:

8 comments:

  1. Wow I love soups and the best part is I have all the stuff to make this and it's gonna snow this weekend great time for soup thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is my kind of soup! I love full flavores. I've book marked this and plan on making it the next snow day we have (I hope it's soon). Maybe served with warm bread sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good!! I think I made the original version from Allrecipes - love that website!! Visiting from the Christian Mom's Blog Hop and VoiceBoks! www.wonderyearsof2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from the Christian moms blog hop. This soup looks great! I will have to try it. :)

    www.simple-homemaking.blogspot.com

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinned it. I'll be making this one this winter. Absolutely love it if you could link up this (and a couple other recipes) to Wonderful Food Wednesday at http://www.athometake2.com.

    Hope to see you there!
    Jessica @ At Home Take 2

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog about Italian soup is really awesome. I love this recipe very much.I will definitely try this recipe. I like Italian culture, tradition, italian food etc . Last summer I have visited Italy as well as I have visited Italian restaurant. I have enjoyed Italian food very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel very grateful that I read this. It is very helpful and very informative and I really learned a lot from it. Installazione electrici

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. prodotti garfagnana

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...