Friday, January 13, 2012

Cheesy Mexican Rice


The other day I was craving Mexican rice so I started Googling and found all kinds of yummy looking recipes that I'd like to try, but nothing matched the ingredients in my pantry.  Before giving up, I checked my AllRecipes.com recipe folder and found this recipe that I've had in there for FOREVER. 


Although it's not technically Mexican, this cheesy rice casserole works perfectly as a side to your favorite Mexican entree as well as grilled chicken or beef.  Transform it into a main dish by mixing in chopped, cooked chicken.

It has very few ingredients, but don't let that fool you. 

It tastes incredible

We wanted a healthier version of the original recipe so we used low fat sour cream and reduced fat cheese, but even with these substitutions, we still ended up with a rich tasting side. 

If you don't have green chiles on hand, PANIC.  I kid, I kid, just try subbing green enchilada sauce.  We liked it both ways, but felt that the enchilada sauce added even more dimension and moistness to the rice.

One BIG tip is to make sure that you are getting the 6 oz package of rice.   A lot of the packages are more like 4 oz which will live you with a soupy (but still tasty) mess.  Don't ask how I know this... : /

Now to get back to my AllRecipes.com recipe box and see what other gems are hiding in there.

Recipe
1 (6 ounce) package dry instant long grain and wild rice mix
1/2 c onion, chopped
1 (8 ounce) container reduced fat or fat free sour cream
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles or green enchilada sauce
1 (8 ounce) package reduced fat Mexican blend cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish. (I used a 9x9" dish.) 
2.  Prepare the instant long grain and wild rice mix according to package directions along with the onions. 
3.  Mix sour cream, green chiles and 1 1/2 cups of cheese into the rice.  Pour into dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. 
4.  Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly. 

Adapted from:  AllRecipes.com
Photobucket

1 comment:

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...