Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blueberry Waffles

Sharing our first Christmas with our little one this year got me excited about starting some family traditions.  One tradition I decided on was that each year we would have a "family" gift that would give us some kind of family time- like a game or a shared experience.  This year our gift was a waffle iron.  It may sound silly, but I thought it would be perfect for starting a Christmas morning tradition.

In between Christmases we are having lots of "practice" time coming up with Christmas worthy recipes.  ;)  This recipe for blueberry waffles is definitely my favorite with the crispy texture and sweet and tangy flavor.

If blueberries aren't your thang, try chopped strawberries or mini chocolate chips or better yet strawberries AND chocolate chips.  Since you sprinkle the blueberries onto the batter, you could have a build your own waffle brunch with assorted toppings, starting another fun family tradition!

This recipe yields 6 large waffles, but I could easily eat 2.  {She admits shamefully.} 

Recipe
2 eggs
2 c flour
1 3/4 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 Tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c blueberries
  1. Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturers directions.
  2. In a large bowl whisk eggs until fluffy.  Add all remaining ingredients except blueberries and mix until smooth.
  3. Pour into waffle iron and sprinkle with a handful of blueberries.  Cook until nice and crispy, according to the manufacturer's direction. 
  4. Allow extras to cool on a wire rack before refrigerating so they won't get soggy.  
Source: Adapted from AllRecipes 

Linked to:
This Week's Cravings,

    2 comments:

    1. I don't have a waffle iron. Could I cook them like I do pancakes? *she asks ashamed that she doesn't know the answer*

      ReplyDelete
    2. I don't know either Kelly. I'm planning on making them again this weekend, so I'll throw some batter in a skillet and see what happens. :)

      ReplyDelete

    Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...