Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mexican Corn & Tomato Salad

Nothing says summer to me like fresh produce.  Seriously, there is no comparison to sweet, juicy corn picked straight from the garden or fresh, vine ripened tomatoes.  I've mentioned before that I wasn't a big fan of the summer, but I'll make an exception for fresh veggies.  ;-)  Oh yeah, and maybe one for watermelon too.

A few weeks ago I stumbled across this recipe on AllRecipes.com, and it was full of corn and tomatoes. In my attempt to lighten it up and because it just seems wrong to add butter to a salad, I made a little dressing with olive oil and lime juice and omitted the butter.  It gives your salad a little shine while using a healthy fat.  You get so much flavor from the fresh veggies, onion and cilantro that you don't need a ton of seasonings.

Another plus for the summer recipe is that you can do all of the "cooking" in the microwave, keeping your kitchen nice and cool.  I like to throw this together early in the day, let the flavors meld in the fridge and then nuke it in the microwave before serving at dinnertime.   The hubs prefers to eat it like a cold salsa with corn chips, but I like it warm.  Either way the salad is the ideal accompaniment to your favorite grilled meat.

Enjoy!

Recipe
3 ears of corn, shucked
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
2/3 c red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lime juice
salt, pepper, and lemon pepper seasoning to taste

  1. Place shucked corn in a glass pie plate or dish with 1/2 inch of water.  Microwave on high for 5 minutes or until tender-crisp.  Cool slightly, cut corn from cob and place it in a bowl.
  2. Add remaining ingredients, and season to taste. I like to zap this for a few minutes in the microwave and serve it warm.  The hubs likes it cold with corn chips.
Adapted from: AllRecipes.com

*Printable Version*

Linked to:

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing it looks delish!
    Im a new follower from vB. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! I bet this is something hubby would actually eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I'm hosting a recipe only link party today called "Cast Party Wednesday". This recipe would be a perfect addition. I would love it if you came by and shared some of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the perfect summer salad. Cannot wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fact that you substitute butter with olive oil! Sounds much more appetizing than butter in salad! hahaha...THanks for sharing this beautiful salad. I love that vibrant colors and combination of flavors! :)

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer,
    This is an awesome summer salad with great color and flavor. We would just love this salad! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks soooooo good. Would love to take this and some good chips to my next pot luck!

    Alessa @ Carolina HeartStrings

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks soooooo good. Would love to take this and some good chips to my next pot luck!

    Alessa @ Carolina HeartStrings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I just wanted to thank you for visiting Cast Party Wednesday and I hope you join me again tomorrow and share more of your great recipes!
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be a great side dish with something cooked on the grill! Come and share this with WorkShop Wednesday. It would be a nice addition to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Jennifer!
    You are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. You are welcome to pick up your Featured Red Plate.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...