Friday, August 19, 2011

Simply Incredible Slow Cooker Pot Roast



The perfect pot roast recipe has always eluded me.  My roasts have always tasted like a salt lick or have been flavorless or despite drowning in a sea of liquid, have been dry as the Sahara...until now!

I've been in a race against time to write down what turned out to be the best roast I've ever made.  I have the unusual ability to make a recipe that is awesome the first time I use it, but is just "meh" when I try to recreate it later on.  That is a big part of why I started this blog.   I want to be able to serve meals to company with confidence instead of a series of unfortunate incidents.  ;)

Anyway, I loved this.  It was tender, the meat was juicy and the potatoes were tender.  I used quartered red potatoes and left the skins on.  Next time I'll add carrots as well.  If I was a working mom, I'd prep this at night, refrigerate it and plug 'er in the next morning for 8-10 hours.  I ended up cooking it 2 1/2 hours on high (because our mornings often get off to slow starts), followed by 3 hours on low and it was PERFECT.

If you are on a low sodium diet, use low sodium beef broth instead of the bullion/water and don't salt your meat.  You can always add salt later, but you can't take it out once it's in there.  Seriously, it's a true fact.  =P

I like meals that I can cook once and eat twice, so I thickened the juices with a little cornstarch mixed with water to make a gravy.  I added the leftover beef, heated and served over mashed potatoes.  You could use your leftovers to make a vegetable beef soup, cheesy/beefy subs or beef stroganoff!

Recipe
3-4 lb chuck roast (I used a chuck tender roast- not sure what that the difference is.)
1-2 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning (or plain ole S & P)
2 c water
2 beef bullion cubes
1 pkt dry onion soup mix
1 tsp garlic powder
veggies of choice- potatoes, carrots, onions etc...
  1. Season both sides of roast with 1-2 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning.  Brown all sides in a large skilled over medium/high heat.  Place in crock pot.  Add veggies if desired.
  2. Add water, bullion, soup mix and garlic powder to to skillet.  Cook and stir, loosening bits on the bottom of the skillet, until bullion dissolves.  Pour over meat and veggies.
  3. Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours.  
Source:  Adapted from Allrecipes
Printable Recipe
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Yummy and perfect on these hot days. I try not to cook on the stove top or with the oven to avoid making the house any hotter. Great idea.
    Hello I am a new GFC fan from VoiceBoks. Please visit me back at My 2 Cents

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...