Tuesday, October 11, 2011

So who's visiting your house?

Isn't it amazing how a series of things, conversations, studies, etc... will fall into place and you feel like God is really trying to push a point home to you?  I have noticed this happening to me more and more often.

Recently, Ms. Betty made a comment in our ladies Bible class that really made me think.  We were talking about all of the trash on tv and she said (paraphrasing), "You would never let someone come into your house and use awful language or talk about inappropriate subject matter, but yet you turn on tv and there they are.  Why is that any different?" 

Doh!  *Insert head slap.* 

I am totally inviting this stuff into my home.

On a weekly basis. 

Why is that any different?  Today I had another conversation about tv with a group of friends.  Sitting there I was thinking, how can I expect others to take me seriously as a Christian when I am not taking Christianity seriously?  I am allowing my selfish desire to be "entertained" to take precedence over living a godly life. 

"Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life."  Proverbs 4:23.  Is it OK to just guard my heart when it's convenient? 

"Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."  Mttw 18:3.  Aren't we to have the same innocence and purity of heart that we see in children?  Then why am I watching tv programs that I wouldn't want my child to watch?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I'm never going to watch television, but I'm definitely going to start making a more conscience effort to watch less and watch with more scrutiny.  We don't watch a lot of questionable programs, but I guess even if it's just one or two, then it's one or two too many. 

I'm so thankful for these moments that God uses to teach me and I pray that I will have the discipline and conviction to do the right thing.  Sorry if this is more of a ramble than a post, but it was on my heart today.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Great reminder! We are so easily entertained...I needed this reminder thank you!

    I was better at this when my kids were small I think, but now that they are older I do notice they will censor it for themselves. If a show or scene comes on that isn't clean, they do turn the channel themselves.

    Have a wonderful day. It's so great to be part of a community that will speak the truth and encourage one another to stay on the right path.

    Thanks Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. There are shows on tv i've cut out-- but there is one i'm having a hard time letting go of. It is so true, though. I won't let my kids watch tv past 7 pm because of the shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We finally got fed up with tv and the offensive advertisements and took it out. Now we watch dvd's and netflix. I like being in control of 'who' comes to my home!
    Thanks for your article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! I am so guilty and you are so right! There are two shows I watch every week that I wouldn't allow my kid to watch. But now that you've made me think about it -If I wouldn't watch them with my daughter, then I probably should not be watching them at all. Thank you for the reminder. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...