Saturday, September 10, 2011

Quick and Easy Nutella Turnovers

For those unfamiliar with it, Nutella is a chocolate hazelnut spread with a consistency similar to smooth peanut butter.  There are a bazillion recipes out there that you could use with Nutella, but it's pretty good just spread on a graham cracker or piece of toast.  Combine it with it buttery, crispy puff pastry and you have the ultimate comfort food.

The recipe came from Tracey's Culinary Adventures, who found it at Picky Palate.  Be sure to visit these blogs where you'll get better pictures and more detailed instructions.  I varied only slightly from the original instructions by cutting my puff pastry into 9 pieces instead of 4 because I was making them as a potluck dessert.  I've made them both ways now and prefer the smaller pastries.  They tend to break open more easily than the bigger ones while baking, but who cares when they taste so amazing?!

This was my first time working with puff pastry and it was super easy.  The most important thing is to let it thaw well before trying to unfold it. It's a pain pinching it all back together when it breaks.  Don't ask me how I know...

To serve, sprinkle these with powdered sugar or drizzle with chocolate.  I hope you all will enjoy these as much as we did!

Recipe
1 box puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets, tested with Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry)
1 c Nutella spread
1 c mini marshmallows
Egg wash = 1 egg whisked with 1 Tbsp water
Powdered sugar
  1. Lay puff pastry on a lightly floured counter.  Roll out slightly.  I rolled mine from a 9x9 to a 12x12 square.  
  2. Cut into 9 squares.  Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon Nutella into the center of each square.  Top with 3-4 marshmallows.  Fold dough over to form a triangle.  Use a fork to crimp the edges together and seal tightly.  (They may still pop open a little when baking.)  Brush with egg wash and place on cookie sheet
  3. Bake 20-22 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown.  Cool slightly, sprinkled with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Source:  Adapted from  Tracey's Culinary Adventures & Picky Palate
Printable Recipe
Linked to:
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I just made these! So delicious!!! I ate so many I got a tummy ache haha :) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know how they turned out! Sorry about the tummy ache, but I'm glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...