Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Quick and Healthy Marinara Sauce {1 Point +}


Recently, I discovered how crazy simple it is to make your own marinara sauce, and now I will never go back to the stuff in the bottle again.  I was inspired by this easy recipe from Skinny Taste, my favorite go-to blog for Weight Watchers recipes.


You start with a can of crushed tomatoes, add garlic and seasoning and BAM- marinara sauce without all of the extra salt and weirdness in bottled sauce.  You can customize it however you want; we made it into a version that worked for us- with dried spices and a sprinkle of splenda.

I've used this for dipping veggies and breadsticks or ladled over spaghetti squash and chicken parmesan.  The best part is that it's only 1 Point +. 

Recipe
Adapted from: Skinny Taste
1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely diced or grated
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 small bay leaf
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp splenda
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  1. Saute garlic in olive oil for about a minute.  Stir in remaining ingredients. 
  2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. 
Serves 6 (about 1/2 cup each) Calories: 51

Weight Watchers Points: 1 Point +



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...