Monday, May 14, 2012

Sloppy Joes with Veggies {8 Points +}


Growing up we ate A LOT of sloppy joes.  They were quick, inexpensive, filling and fit for even the pickiest kid- the perfect combination.  Plus, the leftovers were fantastic on hotdogs.  Now that I'm feeding my own family, I've developed my own version. 

I've found through trial and lots of error that saucy foods are a great camouflage for veggies.  If you can shred or puree it, you can hide it in a sauce of some kind.  Sloppy Joes work well with zucchini, yellow squash and carrots to name a few.  I hope to try it with cauliflower in the near future.

I added an entire cup of zucchini that I grated with a microplane grater so it was super fine.  It blended in so well that the hubs had NO clue that it was in there- that was the true test.  That dude can sniff out a vegetable a mile away... {sigh}

Another bonus to adding veggies is that you get an extra a serving or two of sloppy joe without adding extra meat, saving calories and money. 

Please leave a comment and let me know how you like to hide veggies from your family or ways you've taught them to like veggies.  I'd love try some new ways.

Recipe
Adapted from: AllRecipes
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped or 1/2 tsp onion powder
2-3 large cloves of garlic, minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1 cup)
1 c ketchup
1/4 c water
1 Tbsp brown sugar 
3 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
6 whole wheat buns (around 120 calories each)

In a medium pan brown ground beef, onions and garlic.  Drain fat.  Add remaining ingredients except buns.  Bring to a simmer; cover and cook 20 - 30 minutes over medium low heat. 

Serves: 6

Nutritional Mumbo Jumbo:  Calories: 383  Fat: 5.2  Sat. Fat: 1.2  Carbs: 43.8  Fiber: 3.6  Protein: 19  Weight Watchers:  8 Points +


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...