Thursday, May 10, 2012

Barbecue Chicken Baked Potatoes {8 Points +}

Any time we grill chicken I have the hubs grill a few extra pieces for pizza, quesadillas, salads or sandwiches later in the week.  Grilling the chicken gives it a boost of flavor that you can't get with anything else. 

For some reason, this week I couldn't figure out what to do with the extra meat, and then it dawned on me... barbecue potatoes!  I love those greasy, cheesy barbecue pork smothered potatoes that are served in the local bbq restaurants.  However, they're not something I would feel good about serving my family.

This version is much lighter with chicken breast instead of pork, less bbq sauce and better portion sizes (although the hubs preferred a bigger spud).  Next time I plan to add cooked shredded zucchini or yellow squash (decreasing the amount of water in the recipe) or carrots and cauliflower to up the nutritional value and sneak a few veggies in on my unsuspecting family. ;) 

Recipe
4 medium baked potatoes (about 1/3 pound each)
12 oz chopped or shredded, cooked chicken breast
1/2 c barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays.)
1/4 c water
  1. Bake or microwave potatoes until soft.  Split with knife and fluff.  Salt and pepper potatoes as desired.  (This isn't necessary, but the hubs and I agreed it would be a good idea since we went easy on the bbq sauce.)
  2. While potatoes are cooking, combine chicken, barbecue sauce and water in a saucepan.  Heat through, adding more water if needed.  Divide among potatoes. Add extra toppings if desired.
Additional topping ideas: cilantro, green onions, shredded lettuce, cabbage slaw or low fat cheese.

Nutritional Mumbo Jumbo:  Calories: 305  Fat: .6  Sat. Fat: .1  Carbs: 53.5  Fiber: 3.8  Protein: 21.6  Weight Watchers: 8 Points +


Linked to:  Foodie Friday  - Church Supper - Savory Sunday -

1 comment:

  1. How interesting, but absolutely delicious looking! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week ~EMm

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...