Thursday, September 27, 2012

Autumn Harvest Salad


Let me just say that this salad received the hub's seal of approval and that is the highest compliment a salad can receive.  He ate 3 helpings and I nearly passed out.  Then he asked if we could have it again soon and I could have sworn I heard angels singing.  I felt like a super hero.

The best part was that it was soooo easy.  I used leftover chicken, bagged salad, precooked bacon and presliced apples.  It's perfect for a busy weeknight.

This salad doesn't really have measurements.  I just added a handful of this and a handful of that.  It's so simple and you can easily swap out ingredients for whatever sounds better to you.  The key to this recipe is the combination of sweet, salty and a touch of smokiness from the bacon.

In the spirit of keeping things healthier around here, I went light on the cheese, craisins and bacon when I made this for us.  It doesn't take a lot to get the flavor.  Also using a combination of vinaigrette and creamy poppy seed dressing allows you to cut the fat and calories that you would get by using just the poppy seed dressing.

Recipe
Adapted from: Espresso and Cream
2 bags prepared salad mix- (I like to roughly chop them so the pieces aren't as big.)
baked, rotisserie or grilled chicken breast, sliced diagonally across the grain
1-2 apples, thinly sliced
red onion
Craisins
feta cheese, low-fat
real bacon bits
almonds or pecans, toasted
balsamic vinaigrette
creamy poppy seed dressing

Combine all ingredients and toss to lightly coat with dressing.





2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I'll have to try it! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...