Monday, November 4, 2013

Slow Cooker General Tso's Chicken

General Tso's Chicken is a quick healthy crockpot meal.
Y'all didn't know General Tso had a crockpot, did ya?  I guess they leave that out of the history books...

I love Asian inspired dishes so much that I've tried several versions of Asian chicken, but this recipe for General Tso's Crockpot Chicken is by far the best.  I'm not usually one for leftovers, but I can't wait to eat this again.  This morning I stood by the fridge debating whether or not it was socially acceptable to chow down on chicken and rice for breakfast. 

I hate mushy crockpot chicken, but cooking this on high for 2 hours kept the chicken from turning to mush and getting that weird crockpot chicken flavor.   If you need to cook it longer, use chicken thighs because the darker meat holds up better to extended cooking.

Can I just say that learning how to use my crockpot and freezer the right way has made life with small children a little easier?!  I plan to assemble and freeze a couple of bags of this recipe to have it ready to go whenever I need a quick meal.  The rice can also be made ahead of time and frozen. 

Ingredients
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup water
3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
4 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp. ketchup
1-2 tsp. fresh ginger
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
salt to taste
2 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with water

Directions
  1. Spray inside of crockpot with cooking spray.  Place chicken inside.  You can also use frozen chicken, adjusting the time if needed.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients EXCEPT cornstarch and salt.  Pour over chicken.
  3. Cook on high 2 hours or low 4-5 hours.  You may need a little longer if using chicken thighs. 
  4. Remove chicken and shred or chop.  Return to cooker.
  5. Stir cornstarch into 2 tablespoons of water to make a slurry.  Add to chicken mixture and allow mixture to cook about 30 more minutes on high.  Add more cornstarch if needed.
  6. Add salt to taste.
  7. Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds or green onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...