Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tex-Mex Beefy Enchiladas

Have you ever looked at recipe and thought, "That looks too easy to be good?"  You see these people on tv dumping an endless number of ingredients into their dishes and think that delicious food must take a pantry full of strange and unusual ingredients.  That's what has kept me from making these Tex-Mex Beefy Enchiladas from Martha Stewart.  It seemed too simple yet the reviews were excellent so the tab stayed open on my computer for about a month as I debated.  Lol.  That sounded so dramatic!  :-P

But...today I took the plunge and made these incredible enchiladas!  They were so easy and clean, yet so flavorful.  Honestly, I felt like they were better than most of the beef enchiladas that I've had in restaurants and if you know they hubs, then you know we've eaten at a bazillion and one Tex-Mex restaurants! 

This was the first time I've ever made enchilada sauce and it was so worth taking the extra step!  The recipe calls for one small chile in adobo sauce, but the one that I used was on the larger side.  The result was pretty hot, as in I broke a little sweat, but not so hot that I had to chug a gallon of milk.  The hubs and I loved them, but I couldn't feed them to my one year old.  Next time, I'll stick with a smaller chile or remove the seeds because the little guy loves enchiladas and stared at us with those big, sad puppy dog eyes while we ate. :(

I'm not a big fan of corn tortillas because they always break apart, but I found some white corn ones from the Tortilla Factory (at Walmart) that also had wheat in them.  They were the best of both words- a subtle corny taste with the stability of a flour tortilla.  I will definitely be stocking up on these!

I served these with a cilantro lime rice.  Yummm!

Enjoy!

Recipe
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 small chipotle chile in adobo, minced, plus 1 tablespoon sauce (from a small can)
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
8 corn tortillas (6-inch)
1 1/2 cups shredded 2% cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  1.  In a medium pan heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil.  Add flour, cook and stir 1 minute.  Whisk in broth, water, chile powder, chile and adobo sauce.  Bring to a boil, whisking constantly.  Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened.
  2. In a skilled heat remaining oil.  Add beef, onions, garlic, salt and pepper.  Brown and drain.
  3. Wrap tortillas and bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Remove and raise temp to 450.
  4. Spoon 1/4 sauce into a square baking dish.  Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup beef mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese.  Roll tightly and place seam side down in dish.  Mix remaining beef with sauce and pour over enchiladas.  Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
  5. Bake 15-20 minutes or until hot, bubbly and heat through.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.  Garnish with cilantro.
Source: Martha Stewart 

Linked to:
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...