Monday, October 24, 2011

Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal and Pecan Waffles

I woke up this morning craving something more than cold cereal and toast.  If only I weren't so lazy, I'd cook breakfast every morning.  Some day, maybe...  Anyway, this Oatmeal Waffles recipe is one of the first recipes that came up at AllRecipes.com when I did a quick search for waffles.  The kiddo loves anything he can dip in syrup and I felt good about serving him something with oats, whole wheat flour and pecans in it for breakfast. 

The original recipe doesn't have chocolate chips or pecans in it, but if you know anything about my family, you know the hubs needs his morning chocolate fix just like I need my morning coffee. So into the bowl they went.  Other yummy mixins to try would include pumpkin, cinnamon, apples, peanut butter, bananas, etc...

The batter was kind of thick, but resist the urge to add more liquid.  Instead, use a spatula or spoon to spread the batter into the waffle iron.  This made 6 large, Belgian style waffles.  Next time I'll make a big batch and freeze some for those lazier mornings when I don't want to cook. 

These waffles were moist and chewy on the inside and crunchy on the outside.  The pecans added a little more texture and the chocolate was delicious.  We all enjoyed chowing down on these. =)

Recipe
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
1 c quick-cooking rolled oats
1Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 c milk
6 Tbsp butter, melted
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 c semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (I roughly chopped some regular chips.)
1/4 c chopped pecans
  1. Heat waffle iron.
  2. In a large bowl combine flours, oats, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.  In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, butter, brown sugar and vanilla.  Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined.  Fold in chocolate chips or pecans.
  3. Spread onto waffle iron with spatula.  Cook according to your waffle iron's manufacturer's directions.
Source: Adapted from Allrecipes
Printable Recipe
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it. I am a new GFC follower. Hope you can stop by my blog and follow me back. http://www.freeebooksdaily.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ladies! They were much better than the typical plain jane waffles. =)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...