Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Lately, I've been noticing/ogling all of the whoopie pie recipes throughout the blogosphere.  For some reason these little buggers have intimidated me.   I know, I'm a weirdo.  Last weekend I decided to bite the bullet and try a pumpkin version of these for a church get-together.  Not only were they easier and tastier than I imagined, but I got the joy of seeing the odd looks on the faces of family and friends as I told them that they were called Whoopie Pies.  Apparently, that isn't a southern food.  :P

I would suggest using a cookie or small ice cream scoop if you have it to make all of your cookies uniform in size.  I didn't so I had all sorts of shapes and sizes of cookies, but as long as you aren't OCD and they have a match it doesn't really matter. 

The spices seem like a lot, but they are spot on.  The filling is creamy, light and perfectly sweetened so you aren't left with a yucky, super sweet aftertaste.  Serve these up for Halloween, Thanksgiving or a special fall treat!

Recipe
Cookie
2 c packed brown sugar
1 c canola oil
1 1/2 c solid pack pumpkin puree
2 eggs
3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice (has cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice in it)
1/2 Tbsp cloves
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease baking sheets.  I've never done this before, but I knew these would stick so spread just a little Crisco on them.  Don't skip this step.
  2. Combine the oil and brown sugar. Mix in the pumpkin, 1 teaspoon vanilla and eggs, beating well.  In another bowl mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and cloves.  Add to wet ingredients and mix well. 
  3. Spoon on to cookie sheet in heaping tablespoons.  Bake 10-12 minutes. (Mine took exactly 10 because I didn't want to overbake them.)  Cool and make sandwiches with filling (recipe below).
Filling
1 egg white
1 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c powdered sugar
3/4 c crisco

Beat egg white and mix with the milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Mix well then beat in the shortening and the remaining cup of powdered sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.  This makes just enough filling for these cookies.  If you like a lot of filling, you might want to make extra.


Source: Adapted from AllRecipes
Printable Recipe
Photobucket

2 comments:

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...