Monday, April 11, 2011

Modge Podge and Monograms

Going from decorating an 1100 square foot house to a nearly 4000 square foot house definitely has been a challenge with our limited budget, so I started searching online for inexpensive ideas.   This is when I discovered an inexpensive secret weapon that could transform ordinary objects into super fun home decor!

That secret weapon is.....Modge Podge!

I seriously feel like I'm back in elementary school when I bust open a jar of Modge Podge, but that just makes it even more exciting.

This week's Modge Podge project is a monogram made from a wood cutout and scrapbook paper.  It seriously cost about $3 and I LOVE it!  If you don't have all of the supplies already, it will cost you more, but you will be able to reuse everything.
The actual project is so simple.  You'll need a large wooden letter and a sheet of scrapbook paper.  Trace the letter onto the back of the paper.  You want to make sure and line it up so that you get the pattern the way you want it on your letter.  Then cut it out.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  We'll fix that later.

Paint the edges of the letter with craft paint.  I used black.   Once it's dry, apply a thick layer of Modge Podge to the letter.  Attach your scrapbook paper, carefully lining up the edges.  Check for any loose edges and add more Modge Podge if needed.

Once it's dry, you can fix any paper that is hanging over the edges.  All you need is a piece of fine grit sand paper.  Lightly sand the edges at a 45 degree angle.  Using this angle will prevent you from damaging the surface of your scrapbook paper and from chipping your paint.

The next step is optional.  I like to age the monogram a little by taking an ink pad that matches the paint from the edges and lightly stamp all of the way around the edge of the paper.  You don't want it too dark.  If it goes on too dark, just dab it with a cloth or paper towel until you've removed the desired amount.

Let the ink dry and apply a coat of the Modge Podge to the whole  thing.

I hung this on my wall with Command Strips because it was super easy and I will be able to switch out the monograms for different season if I want to later on.  Also they're easy to remove and won't damage your walls.


I hope these instructions makes sense.  I can't wait to try this in my little boys room!

Linked to Frugal Fridays at The Shabby Nest

2 comments:

  1. That is GORGEOUS! Excellent work! I love my Modge Podge too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You.Are.AWESOME!!! That is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...