Wednesday, April 13, 2011

When Teething Takes Its Toll

Walking through the house with one shoe on, carrying a screaming, puke covered baby wondering if this phase will ever pass, I started to remember something a grandmother at church told me.  She lovingly said, "Baby, just remember it's harder on the little ones." 

It's so easy to get caught up in how tired I am and how frustrated I am and not consider that my baby is hurting.  Can you imagine pushing something bony and sharp through your delicate body tissue?  This was my reality check to start trying to give my baby what he needed and stop whining about my lack of sleep or messy house.  It was time to start giving him the extra cuddles, time and patience that he needs. 

I wish I could tell you the secret of how to survive teething, but this is all I've got.  It's not easy.  When I'm struggling to get an ounce or two of formula into a baby who refused to let anything anywhere near his mouth, I will have to remind myself, he is hurting, go easy.  When I trying to find something that he can chew and won't throw across the room with deadly force, I will have to remind myself, he's in pain, just do your best. 

When nothing else helps and you're at your wits end, just hang in there and quote the bittersweet mommy mantra, "This too shall pass."  Then grab some chocolate.

1 comment:

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...