Monday, August 27, 2012

Tropical Oatmeal Smoothie {6 WW Pts +}

The last 2 months have been extremely challenging for me both physically and emotionally.  Because of this, I allowed my diet and exercise regime to slack off quite a bit.  OK, I basically threw it out the window and feels as though my body has turned into an exhausted pile of mush. 

After polishing off the last of the donuts yesterday, I put together a healthy eating plan for this week.  You know how once you eat a donut for breakfast, the idea of eating healthy for the rest of the day is thrown out the window?  Therefore, I ate the donuts for the sake of my diet.  It was a win-win. 

Anyway, to start out the week the kiddo and I made Tropical Oatmeal Smoothies inspired by this recipe on AllRecipes.com.  We opted for the tropical fruit mix that we had in the freezer with pineapples, strawberries and mangos.  You could use whatever fruit blend you have on hand.  Adding the coconut extract gave it that extra bit of island flare. 

Now I realize that oatmeal may seem like a weird ingredient and yes you do taste it in the background, but it adds extra thickness to the smoothie.  I don't know about you, but I like my smoothies thick so that they take longer to enjoy. You also get the added benefit of more fiber.

My 2 year old was running around the house saying, "Good smoothie... mmmm... very good smoothie."  I think he's hooked.  He drank his and then part of mine.

This smoothie ranks in around 210 calories.  I had it along with one of my Sausage and Egg Breakfast Muffins made with egg substitute and my total breakfast calories were about 300.  It was healthy, filling and gave me all 4 food groups. 

Recipe
Adapted from: AllRecipes.com
1/2 c rolled oats
1 c fat free milk
4-5 ice cubes
1 medium banana, cut into chunks
1 c tropical blend frozen fruit (about 14 chunks of fruit)
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1 Tbsp Splenda

Pulse oats in blender until powdered.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Adjust sweetness to taste.

Serves: 2

Nutritional Mumbo Jumbo:  Calories: 210.8  Fat: 2.1  Sat. Fat: .3  Carbs: 43.9  Fiber: 5.7  Protein: 7.8  Weight Watchers Points: 6 Pts. +






No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I treasure each one. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...